Friday, April 10, 2009

Coom Baa ya Liberalism will be Alive and well in Vancouver

Coronations are not interesting. So I had hoped that at least the policies debated at the upcoming convention would be. Alas, that was just not to be. The list is out and it is hard to imagine it being more timid, conventional and boring. This is odd. You would think that a party starved for money and coming off its worst electoral showing ever would want to change things up. Instead we get a rehashing of the same tired rhetoric and policies that the party ran with and lost with during the last two elections. There is plenty of talk about global warming, childcare and poverty, but not a single policy that stands out as new yet alone bold.

Resolution 69, Making Poverty History at Home and Abroad, encapsulates the Liberals unwillingness to move beyond were they are now in terms of policy. Yes you got that right. The party feels that debating the whether the Liberals should aim to make poverty history at home and abroad is a “priority”.

The Liberals have proved again to be the party that fun forgot.

4 comments:

penlan said...

I disagree. All these things are important to Canadians. In the last election we heard mostly about the Green Shift & then the economy. Harper was running on "being a Leader". I think people are fed up with Harper now & ready to listen to what our real priorities are - including, of course, jobs & the economy.

Liz said...

I agree. The lack of real policy, and the lack of allowing grassroots to vote on the policy, is as troubling as the fact we have a leader no members outside of caucus voted for. I am already so scared about Iggy's previous policy, such as support for the Iraw war, torture, and cheerleading for the tar sands, I have no idea how I am supposed to be enthusiastic about the would-be PM when he is not even saying what his policy will be if he gets elected. The party is in bad shape these days.

WesternGrit said...

Uh... I think that everyone who was a member was allowed to vote on ALL the policy resolutions at "EnFamilie"??? I know I voted on them all... Don't even have to go to the convention - but I am (because I view it as a great "family reunion" where we can recharge our batteries, gather up new ideas, and network - not to mention, talk, talk, talk, policy)...

Koby said...

Western Grit: I think that everyone who was a member was allowed to vote on ALL the policy resolutions at "EnFamilie"???

yes and it was the riding heads that decided which ones were worthy. That is the problem I have. That said, I did find one that interests me.

"Expanded medicare to include publicly funded home care, dental and vision and mental health care."